Cleaning your house is usually a love/hate task, most of us will admit that. In our modern era, Instagram has taken over as our inspiration (especially for those of us who love Mrs Hinch) from cleaning hacks and tips to home renovation ideas. Most vendors before marketing their property have a good clear out and clean, so here we have listed some cleaning tips and tricks whether you are planning to sell or just love that satisfaction of a freshly cleaned home.
- Shine up your stainless-steel appliances- all you need is a microfibre cloth and some rubbing alcohol. If you want to add more shine, olive oil can do the trick!
- Clean out your oven- it sounds silly, but it gets noticed. Use an oven cleaning kit to shine up your oven glass and trays, it can also help eradicate smells in the kitchen.
- Repurpose dryer sheets- they can buff water spots from windows and glass screens!
- Freshen up your mattresses- Sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda through a sieve and leave it for a couple of hours. Vacuum it up afterwards and replace your sheets.
- Tackle grimy grout- Use an old toothbrush and whitening toothpaste (which is mildly abrasive) to clean grout.
- Avoid whiffy bins- Did you know lemon is good for freshening up bin smells? If you don’t have any Zoflora to hand, this could do the trick!
- Dust those blinds- Use a damp sock to run between the slats to remove dust them throw it in the washing machine.
- Tackle sticky marks- Use baby oil to get rid of any old sticky label marks.
- Clean your extractor fans- bathroom fans can get built up with dust and grime- use canned air to blast out the dust. It’s faster and more effective than a hoover.
- Remove pet hair- A great way to remove pet hair from a carpet or sofa is using a squeegee. Usually used on windows, when you brush against the carpet, it pulls up hair and dust not always picked up by the hoover. Finish up with a carpet freshener and your carpet will be left hair free and smelling wonderful!
Paige McNaughton MNAEA & MARLA